Monday, October 6, 2008

Pump it up!

So once again I find my blog void of recent posts. These past few weeks have been incredibly full not only of time consuming activities but emotionally consuming as well. This has left me with little to say and little desire to say it. It is late Sunday night (technically Monday morning), and I finally have a spare moment, breath and thought.
One of the things that is taking a great deal of time and energy, I am in the process of learning to use an insulin pump. For those of you who don't know I have JO Diabetes. In July when our new insurance (from Everette's new job)kicked in, we found out we may be able to get an insulin pump at little out of pocket cost. After many phone calls it turns out... I can actually get one at 100% coverage. They also cover the supplies that go with it completely as well. Trust me this took several "are you sure?" calls. We assumed like most health care issues that this would take several weeks if not months to get everything in place. Turns out it took a week (maybe two). So this week I have been learning how to use it. I am excited about it... and the potential for making my life easier. Currently it is pretty time consuming and difficult, as I have to record EVERYthing I eat (this I have decided is a great weight loss program-for two reasons... 1. It is just plain annoying to write down everything you put into your mouth. 2. It is also makes you think twice about what you eat... knowing that someone is going to read it) take my blood sugar multiple times (10-12) a day.. use the pump (for pretend.. it is filled with saline) and take my regular injections. Not to mention that most of the time I am eating with a 1-year-old. It also brings with it a plethora of psychological and emotional issues, not only for me but for Everette too. It is not natural to be hooked up to a machine all the time. Even if the machine is small and relatively non invasive.
On a much happier note.. My sister-in-law turns 30 on Tuesday. We had a big bash this Saturday at Happy Hollow park. It was a perfect fall day (assuming you wore long sleeves and long pants). There were gobs of people and some we hadn't seen in a while. Everette's brother Brad was also in town this weekend. He is doing some interviewing for the hotel he works at in NYC at Purdue. So far he does this about two times a year and they are usually at the beginning or end of the week so he comes for the weekend and spends some time with us. Everette went with Brad and his dad to the Purdue game. While the game itself wasn't any thing spectacular to see, they all had a good time, reminiscent of younger days. Everette is already talking about taking Jonathan to a game... I think he will wait at least a year... considering you have to purchase a ticket for him. Monday Everette is off to DC for meeting then he will spend the rest of the week in New Jersey at his main office, I will be in Cleveland spending some time with my aunt. Of course Jonathan will be with me too.
I think that is all I have for now. I am sure there will be more later.

No comments: