Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Spread the love

It has happened three times now and the feeling is incredible. God has been using other people to encourage me. Before I begin I have to put a disclaimer, well two actually.
1. The following may sound like I think I am the greatest thing since sliced bread. This is not true. I am WELL aware of my faults. Sometimes too aware, I think.
2. I am not at ALL fishing for compliments. Please do not feel obligated to do so.
I am just happy and I want to spread the love, like peanut butter on white bread.
So it began a few weeks ago when I called my friend to tease her about her debateably hot ex-boyfriend starring (for five minutes, ok maybe 10) on CSI NY (he was the dead archeologist). After several rounds of good-natured ribbing (her husband is our pastor and she could have married a superstar-you can't let that stuff go unnoticed), she interrupted me and told me all sorts of nice things about me. I hung up feeling stunned, humbled, encouraged, and flattered as her sentiments were more than doubly reciprocated on my end.
A few weeks later, I was reading some blogs (as I most often do-really like 10-12 times a day), I came across a post that a friend of mine wrote on someone else's blog explaining his political views on this most recent presidential election. As you can imagine, hot debates ensued. While I agreed with a lot of the opposing view points I couldn't help but see the faults in both arguments. Knowing my friend as I do I could see how his comments were being serioulsy misconstrued. I also saw a few other people trying to make a few lighthearted comments being ripped to shreads by emotionally charged responses.
So I felt compelled to leave a comment. My comment was mainly shaped by the article I posted here on election day. I come to the conclusion that our multiparty system is a blessing from God. Either party if left unchecked to rule would quickly and enthusiastically drive us over a cliff. And a few other points. I certainly did not feel like I was doing anything noble. I was simply spouting my opinion. Something I generally like to do.. it runs in my family.
Later that day I received a voicemail from my friend. Thanking me for my comment. While he may have called everyone that posted, it sure made me feel pretty good.
And finally, this is the badge I wear with the most honor.
There is a guy at my church-who does EVERYTHING!!!!! I mean everything. If you want something or need something. He will get it for you.. or point you in the direction of someone who can. He is at every event. He sets up the chairs every sunday. He does everything. He is an incredibly hard worker. He spends much of his life outside of work at the church. He single handedly headed up the total building overhaul when we moved in. He installed light fixtures, laid flooring, built offices, sets up the tables for EVERY single church event-including women's bible study and is currently heading up the installation of our kitchen (all of this is at our church). The man is incredible, fearless and invincible.
He called me today to tell me that they needed to move the fridge downstairs so they could start working on the... something whatever, not important. He remembered that we were having a church dinner on Monday (that I am coordinating) and wanted to know if that would be a problem. I honestly didn't see how it was a problem. I knew people were dropping stuff off early, but I didn't see why they couldn't walk it downstairs and put it in the fridge down there. I hardly gave it a second thought. I mean, like I was going to tell THIS guy what to do with the fridge.

I called him later tonight about something else, and he said he needed to tell me something. (I was thinking a million things-and none of it was what came next).
He told me he was feeling really down, like ready-to-leave-the-church down, because he was tired of people complaining (it's too hot, too cold, too many chairs, not enough chairs etc.) and when he called me about the fridge he had his walls up and was ready to hear my complaints. He told me he was taken aback at my attitude and I quote "felt like I was walking on air, like Superman" I was completely shocked. You never know (and most often never will find out) where people have been when you come in contact with them. I told him to tell people that the complaint department has moved to Megan Mills and I would tell them where they could shove their complaints.
Honestly, there is so much ugliness in me that comes out at times, that it feels great when you do something great and kind and you don't even realize it. I think I will take this one to my grave. And I hope that I can remember how much a kind word makes a difference. I hope I can remember it when I am tired at the grocery store and the checkout lady is going incredibly slow. I hope I can remember it when it is early in the morning and Everette and I are grouching over who has to get up and get our crying kid.

I hope that I can be kind. Here's to spreading the love!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. Of course, you know why- smile! But really, we were soo encouraged by your post (and I have also been so encouraged by your posts on B's blog too.) I got kinda down about all the people going off and misunderstanding us on the other blog and Brock just said he was soo encouraged at how his friends (you and another) spoke their opinions in a respectful way and even if we disagree, it shows a maturity in friendship that we can still be friends. He even started to tear up about it! Old friends are the best

Amber said...

From now on I'm just going to tell people when I think they're awesome. :) I may come across and insincere and even a little creepy, but I don't care. It wouldn't be the first time, and people need to hear it. The second story you recounted makes me so sad . . even a little sick to my stomach. Our church is such a HUGE (I wish I could type that bigger!) blessing to me and our family, and every person there doing the job they're doing and probably have been doing for the past 5 or so years has made it that way. I'm still baffled that so many amazing people have managed to land in one place and stay there without killing each other. Amazing. Anyway, thanks for taking over the complaint department. I think you're doing a great job, and I have no complaints. :)

By the way, have I mentioned that I think you're awesome? :) So says the crazy park lady, but you take what you can get, right?! ;) (hehe)

Megan said...

I'll take a compliment from the Crazy Lady in the Park anyday. P.s. I love that We totally added the "crazy" part and you wear it proudly!