Thursday, August 19, 2010

This morning I woke up to the sound of the garbage truck driving down our street. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, and actually isn't all that uncommon, but it just so happened that Everette and I forgot to take the trash out to the curb. Which again, has happened before, but when you have a kid in diapers... you don't want to forget the trash. It is serious bad news. Serious bad news. To make matters worse, the Tuesday I cleaned out the fridge and the freezer, and things I normally would have tossed down the drain, but since "tomorrow is trash day" I tossed them in the trash.  Whoops! I think some of the delightful matter include ice cream, a few scattered rotten peaches and tomatoes, I was too lazy to take to the compost, and several unidentified items growing mold. It's a long time until next Wednesday.
Also in other news... apparently my son isn't perfect.  Who knew?
With his third birthday only a few weeks away, it seems we won't escape the "terrible two's" after all. It sort of happened slowly and snuck up on us.  Until now, Jonathan has been pretty compliant, and not that he never got in trouble, but most often simply the threat of discipline was enough to help him "want" to obey.
Jonathan has learned to exert his will. He simply sits down and says "no".  What's worse, is when I came to the realization, that I am making things worse. So I'm not bragging, but I am pretty patient (at least compared to the rest of the my household), but my patience has stealthily morphed into coercion, and unnecessary repeated instructions.  Basically, my kid is pretty cute, and he managed to dupe me... briefly.
So the past few days the we have been in our own "Back-to-School SMACKDOWN!"
It has resulted in a lot of time-outs and more than one spanking, not to mention our first Someone-else's-bathroom spank.  We have also, for the first time since our first time-out,  attempted escape from the time-out chair, which in my opinion is generously comfy and well-lit. Lot's of fun times.Who wants to visit.

Trying to retrain my kid's brain also results in threat's that are punishment for me to follow-through.
"If you do that one more time, we are going home."
oh and... he officially ripped the "I" key off of my laptop, and for all I know, ate it, as I have yet find it.
So to sum up, we have rotten stinky garbage, and a rotten stinky kiddo.
On a positive note, Jonathan learned to tell jokes this weekend.
He only has one and here's how it goes...

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Apple.
Apple Who?
Apple scratch (says in a high squeaky voice, while scratching himself, and laughing hysterically).
I will try to get it on video, but he is pretty particular about his audience and who knows when I will actually post a video.

No comments: