Friday, September 10, 2010

A Humongous pain in my hieney: email change part 1

So first of all, it has come to my attention that I don't actually know how to spell the word "heiney", is it "ei" or "ie". You will have to excuse my ignorance.
Anyway, back to my butt pain. A lot of you know Everette and I (and others) have begun the process of changing our email addresses. If you didn't know, then FYI my email address is megan@elmillsdotnet. Surprise! Everette has owned his own domain since before he could drive (ok maybe not that long, but close) and he hosts email addresses for several other people as well (pretty much my whole family). We sent a letter to those people, the first thing we did was apologize for the pain in the butts we had caused. My original draft said "huge pain in the butt" but Everette edited it to "moderate" (I hate censorship).
But I still maintain that this is a huge pain in the butt! For two reasons, 1. it is   2. I like to be melodramatic
I suppose it might not be so huge relative to other things, but it is highly annoying.
So for the next few days I will be using this blog to whine about how hard my life is.

Feel free to stop coming by if you want. But if you are one of those people being forced to change you might find some helpful hints.

Reason #1 for my pains
The actual transfer itself is pretty easy, (details to come shortly) but once Everette transferred my emails and folders the menu on my .Net account looked like this:

You can see on the left side there a bazillion folders and some duplicate. This majorly stressed me out.


I was whining to Everette and he showed me how to hide them.
(just drag the folder to where it says 62 more, then they will all be hidden)
But I still was not satisfied, just knowing they were there and all disorganized bothered me immensely. What if I needed to shuffle through them or search them, and how do I file my new emails?
Everette pointed out that I don't need to organize them, because the google search tool is so effective you can just type any word from the email you are trying to locate, and you don't need them to be organized. This is coming from a man who keeps EVERY email, and for years have filed them by year and then by month on Thunderbird.
So I asked him what he did now. He simply clicks the Archive button and they disappear. Waiting to be accessed at the click of a button.

Stay tuned for more tails of woe.

There will be more trust me!

No comments: