Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hockey, Dolls, and Mike Prangley

...or Mike "brennley" (as my nephew calls him) or p-dawg (as he is referred to by other members of my family, or Mike (as my dad addresses him at the gym where they work out together).
This post promises to be a hodge podge of things.
First Hockey-
Last week Everette and I and My brother, sister-in-law and nephew all went to an Indiana Ice game at the Pepsi coliseum. Hockey has a special place in my heart for two reasons. 1. I fell in love with Everette on the way to and from an Indianapolis Ice game (back in the good old days of ghetto hockey)-also my first hockey game ever. Everette and I frequently go to games to celebrate things or just to be together.
2. What other sport do you get to throw down in the middle of the rink? You might say ultimate fighting-but I would argue that it isn't as great because sadly that is the only point of ultimate fighting. Hockey-is actually a game with sport, however, if someone on the other team checks you a little too hard or shoots their mouth off too much, you can throw your gloves down and punch 'em back in line and amazingly the refs let it go on at least for a while. It's violent, I know. But I say it's better than guns. Anyway, Elijah had a great time at the game. He was totally into it the whole time. Although he was not such a fan of the fights. Sadly the Ice were not at their best, but the game was fun nonetheless.
Here ae some pictures!



Thursday I got spend the afternoon with my niece Mary. And we got to do something I have been looking forward to all year (school year not calendar year). Mary is totally into all things girly-clothes, makeup, cheerleaders, dolls. Specifically American Girl Dolls. Her parents have (rightly) determined that she is not quite old enough to have her own yet (she is four). But I have one. When I was young and the dolls had just come out, my mom made me read all of the Molly Stories and my sister had to read all of the Samantha stories, then one Christmas we got the dolls. We would have most likely only have had the outfits they came with because the clothes were outrageously expensive, if it were not for my amazing Grandmother. She is an incredible seamstress. I mean incredible. Please allow me to digress for a moment and list a few of her accomplishments: at least four incredibly lacy flower girl dresses(two practice, and two real), several Christmas/Easter dresses, at least one high school formal dress, at least two 8th grade graduation dresses, several bridesmaid dresses, a Barbie wedding dress, my mother's wedding dress, and my wedding dress-not to mention a complete crib set and oodles of furniture slip covers. Now to the point. Every Christmas/birthday for the next several years we got more outfits for our dolls. You could never tell that these outfits were homemade. They looked EXACTLY like the ones in the catalogue. My gramma even made a rain coat and rain hat.
Ok to the point. I have a large box full of outfits and accessories for Molly McIntire, and I spent Thursday afternoon going through the box with my wide-eyed niece revisiting one of the most magical parts of my childhood.Mary and Molly and my gramma's handy work. No she didn't' make the umbrella or the boots.

Saturday morning my son woke up and I entered his room to find he had been replaced by some wild child. He was standing up in his crib with hair like this...
Which is funny since I distinctly remember combing it before he went to bed. Talk about bed head! Of course he spent the rest of the day looking like this causing me to break into hysterical laughter everytime I looked at him. Trust me the pictures do not do it justice.

And so finally after a lot of boring text. I come to Mike. I love snow!! So does Everette. We are a bunch of snow lovers over here. I figure if it is going to be cold and dreary it might as well be snowy. Everette and I have been severely disheartened at the lack of snowfall this year. Snow is magical. Snow, as much as anything can, slows the whole city. People are "all snugged up" in their homes. The ice storm in the 90's is seriously one of the most magical weeks of my life to date. I felt like a character in a novel (can you say Laura Ingalls Wilder?). It seemed like the whole world stopped. So back to Mike. I secretly think that Mike LOVES snow. When he gives the forecast, he secretly hopes for buckets of snow to fall. Just like us! He is rooting for schools to close and kids to have snow days. I love listening to Mike "brennley" weather forecast-the hope of every kid in the county.
Like last night. He predicted 3-5 inches, then he said "possibly 5-10". That was Mike Prangley hoping for a snow day. Of course his optimism often leaves the Mills family incredibly disappointed. Like this afternoon when we were cursing the forecast that said 1-3 inches. But then hope springs eternal-and it turns out p-dawg was right. we are getting snow! Buckets and buckets of it! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!
On that note here are some pictures of my mom and Jonathan and me on our walk this afternoon in the snow.
Jonathan's blanket was a little snow-covered.

No comments: