Friday, December 4, 2009

Season of Disappointment

So I would not normally consider my self such a debbie downer, but I very much feel that way right now.
We are only three days into December and I am already feeling the pressure of Christmas activities.
But here's the twist.
I don't feel like there is too much.  I am sad that I can't do more.
Suddenly at Christmas time everyone has a program or party or service. And I would love to do them all.
Christmas is the holiday of music.  No other holiday is filled with as much music. And I love music. I love all  music(almost). It makes me sad when I have to choose.
It is not even the first full week in December and I have already had to tell my mother-in-law I couldn't attend something with her, because it conflicts with something I am doing with my parents. Then something I wanted to do next Wednesday conflicts with something I am already doing. I don't feel like I am doing too much, I am just frustrated that everything seems to be on the same days at the same time.
But the real clincher came this evening when I saw that our church was going to have a Blue Christmas Service. Something I knew was in the works, but the date and time weren't nailed down.
I was really excited about the idea. Because as much as I love music, I love depressing and sad music.
Most specifically, sad music about the Messiah. weird I know.
shall I explain?
This world can be, and largely is, a pretty dark place. And people have serious crap happen in their lives. And I love music that talks about all the yucky crap that happens in people's lives in light of the hope that we have in Christ. He is the only difference between my crappy life and someone else's crappy life (for the record I do not think that my life is crappy all the time or even now-I am just talking about the general crappiness that happens to people). Christ is the hope for something better, something more meaningful, a reason, and a greater purpose, the peace that passes all understanding. 
Like a light shining in the darkness.
"There will be a time in the future when Galilee of the Gentiles, ... will be filled with glory.

 The people who walk in darkness
     will see a great light.
  For those who live in a land of deep darkness,
     a light will shine." Isaiah 9:1b-2

So a service for people who don't love Christmas, is right up my alley, full of sad depressing music with a flicker of hope (although I do love me some good Christmas carols). I found out they scheduled it on Wednesday the 23rd. Which is a very logical day to have such a service, unfortunately it is also already booked on my calendar.
Such is life. There are only so many days in the month, and sometimes we have to make tough choices.
But I am already feeling the disappointment creeping in.
In an effort to spread some Christmas cheer...
Here is a song... It is the song that has been stuck in my head ever since I heard we might be doing a blue Christmas Service. Maybe if I post it here I can purge myself. I picked the most depressing one. Nevermind the spanish.

No comments: