Friday, September 18, 2009

More Delicious(er) Twigs and Berries Salad

I combined a recipe that a friend made for me when Jonathan was born with my more recent Apple Salad and came up with a real winner I think. (Everette and I are debating whether this one or the one I made up on a whim is better-he thinks my other one is better, I disagree, and since I didn't ever measure, it is much more difficult to reproduce).

Here's the recipe...

Dressing:
1/3 c apple cider vinegar
1 T minced Garlic
2 Green onion chopped (I used a small red onion-it was great)
1 t fresh ground pepper
1 T  (heaping) Dijon Mustard
1 T yellow mustard
2/3 c maple syrup (don't bother with pancake syrup-must be the real thing)
1 c Vegetable (or light olive)oil

Pour all ingredients except oil in a blender.   Blend until pureed.  Add oil in slow stream and blend well until thick.
 (this makes enough dressing for multiple uses)

Salad:
Romaine (or spring mix) lettuce
1-2 salad cucumbers
red onion (thinly sliced)
1-3 granny smith apples (or golden delicious if they are tart-number of apples depends on personal preference and volume of salad)
a handful of honey roasted sunflower seeds (almonds and peanuts of the same variety would be excellent too)
handful of craisins

Dump salad in a bowl and drizzle dressing on top, mix thoroughly. This is one of those salads that is better when the dressing is lightly and evenly coating every square inch. Start with as little of the dressing as you can manage, and then add more to taste, trust me, less is better... for your taste buds and your jeans!

Optoinal:
Throw some chicken on top and call it a meal!

No comments: