Thursday, September 11, 2008

A dilemna

I recently found myself in a quandary. I love meat just as much as the next girl (unless that girl is Dana and then I like it a whole lot more!), but I have not been able to bring myself to feed Jonathan that nasty ground up meat in a jar-nor have I been able to stomach making it myself. It is just gross.
He can eat cheese and little chunks of meat from my plate but they are difficult and exhausting to chew with only two lower teeth. So I found myself concerned about the protein intake of my son. Then it dawned on me! Beans!!! Black beans and red beans. Full of protein, full of fiber... easy and fast to mash-buy organic canned beans and have them ready in a flash. (Rhyming was completely unintended-simply a bonus). Problem solved.

***************Since we were speaking about teeth, I thought I should mention Jonathan has been working for several weeks now on four upper teeth. A few days ago two broke through and hopefully the rest will follow shortly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent solution. It's funny how we're completely inundated by beef culture to believe that if you don't eat meat, you can't get protein. There's actually protein in all sorts of stuff -- dark leafy greens is one spot people don't usually think to look for protein. And BEANS are wonderful! They're also pretty darn cheap, which is extra snazzy for those of us on a budget. Meat is expensive. (But I do love a good steak...) I can't wait to make my own baby food! (Well, I CAN wait, because right now it's pretty nice to not have to worry about food at all...but still, it'll be fun when I can use my snazzy food processor!)

Amy said...

it would be funny to see him gum around some peanut butter! what about eggs?