Tuesday, September 16, 2008

It takes a Village

This is a phrase frequently thrown around what has recently become known as Wild Wednesdays. My impromptu playgroup. We say it as we wipe random runny noses, change any diapers within arms reach and run after any kid about to jump into the deep water. It is so true. Today was a rough day at the Mills household. My sweet, good-natured, flexible, easy-going, adorable, happy little boy was kidnapped and replaced with a cranky, whiny, clingy, screaming, teething (I hope that's what it is), sleep deprived monster. It was only 10 AM and I knew I wasn't going to be able to make it all day and night. Everette had three different meetings this evening starting at 4:30 and ending at 9 PM so he wasn't going to be around in the evening, and on these days-he is usually in a crunch all day trying to get his regular work done. So, I called my mom. I knew this was her day off and I was hoping for some backup. I would have been happy just to have her come over and stay awhile so that someone else could pick up and hold Jonathan. You know.. to not have to be "on". My mom, bless her heart, offered to keep jonathan at her house for a few hours in the evening so that I could run some errands alone. Sweet aloneness. It was glorious.
The very best part is, she was only the first call, I had a list of several other people I knew I could call if things got bad. So thank you to all of you friends and family members who so willingly lend emotional and moral support-and even babysitting. My little village!

2 comments:

Annie said...

I am so jealous. My parents would do the same thing, but they live six hours away.
Though, on Monday, Michelle offered to let me drop Caroline off for an hour and a half, and I took her up on it. It was great.

Amber said...

Put me on that list! And while you're at it, sign me up for village membership. We're OFFICIALLY in!

See you Sunday! :)